October 1st is World Vegetarian Day!
World Vegetarian Day was established in 1977 to recognize the benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle. So won’t you join us in pledging to eat all vegetarian meals today, October 1st?
According to the North American Vegetarian Society, there are 7 primary reasons to be a vegetarian:
- Reduce the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke and cancer while cutting exposure to food borne pathogens.
- Provide a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops.
- Save animals from suffering in factory-farm conditions and from the pain and terror of slaughter.
- Conserve vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources.
- Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rain forests and other wildlife habitats.
- Decrease greenhouse gases that are accelerating global warming.
- Mitigate the ever-expanding environmental pollution of animal agriculture.
For more information on about World Vegetarian Day or about becoming a vegetarian, visit http://www.worldvegetarianday.org/.